Feb 6, 2014 | By: Jennae Geren
Michelle shares with us her Top Ten Tips for Increasing Energy:
© Integrative Nutrition
Radiant Life Wellness, LLC
Life. Health. Success
Michelle Kooi, CHHC
1) Reduce or eliminate caffeine.
• The ups and downs of caffeine include dehydration and blood sugar ups and downs, making mood
swings more frequent.
2) Drink water.
• Most Americans are chronically dehydrated. Before you go to sugar or caffeine, have a glass of water
and wait a few minutes to see what happens.
• Caution: Soft drinks are now America’s number one source of added sugar.
3) Eat dark leafy green vegetables.
• Green is associated with spring, the time of renewal and refreshing, vital energy.
• Greens are full of vitamins and nutrients and great for improving circulation, lifting the spirit, purifying
the blood and strengthening the immune system.
• Broccoli, collards, bok choy, kale, mustard greens, broccoli rabe, arugula and dandelion greens are
some of the many to choose from.
4) Use gentle sweets.
• Avoid sugar and chemical artificial sweeteners.
• Use gentle sweeteners like maple syrup, brown rice syrup, agave nectar, and stevia.
• Eat sweet vegetables such as yams, carrots, and beets.
5) Get physical activity.
• Start with simple activities, like walking or yoga—start with 10 minutes a day and increase.
6) Get more sleep and rest and relaxation.
• When you are tired or stressed, your body will crave energy.
• These cravings are often a result of being sleep-deprived, going to bed late, and waking up early for
months and years on end.
7) Evaluate the amount of animal food you eat.
• Eating too much meat, dairy, chicken, and eggs can lead to low energy. So can eating too little!
Experiment. Respect your body’s individuality.
8) Take time for yourself.
• Find activities that restore your energy, such as a walk, a bath, a museum, a movie, or whatever you
enjoy and schedule a weekly date with yourself to do these things!
9) Get in touch with your spirituality.
• We are spiritual beings in a physical world.
• Find ways to get in touch with your spiritual side, be it meditating, dancing, drawing, going to church or
temple, or being in nature.
10) Get rid of relationships that drain you.
• People can drain you of your energy. It doesn’t mean that they are bad, but it is good to notice who
drains you and why.
• See if you can transform those relationships by communicating and setting boundaries or end the